Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snowbound D.C.

I have to laugh at the reports coming out of DC these days as they get pummelled by record snowfall. Yes, I know it's a hassle, but DC has NEVER been able to contend with snow. I lived there for ten years and was there in '96 for te last "record" snowfall. People who live or have lived in parts of the world where snow is a regular thing, often laugh at the panic that grips our nation's capitol when it snows. I've been there when the whole city shuts down for an inch of snow, let alone a couple of feet, lol.

I remember in '96, I was coming home from Montreal when that particular storm hit. I got to Union Station and fortunately found the underground metro still working. Now, you have to understand that it had been snowing for a solid 24 hours by the time I got back to DC. You would thing tat somebody would have been doing something, right? Well, when I got off the Metro at Dupont Circle at 7:00 am, which is on Connecticut Ave. (a MAJOR SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTE), there was three feet of snow on the road. Not a single plow had gone by; 24 hours into a record snowstorm!! I think the first plow made it through around 10 am.

Needless to say, I had a few days off from work as all the schools were closed for a week. It took the city almost ten days to get a plow to my street. It was ridiculous.

D.C. has a great deal going for it. I loved living there. However, dealing wit even a light snowfall is not one of the things they do well.

No comments:

Post a Comment