Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not smoking and the trip through the looking glass.

I have not smoked in one full month (applause). This, according to everyone living: smokers, non-smokers, men, women, young and old, is a good thing. Well, let me tell you something. For something that is supposed to be good, I certainly feel like shit. I mean really, it's been a month. What gives? I figured I'd see some change; feel some positive difference. No. I feel worse.

Being the rational person that I am (stop snickering), I did a search on the side effects of quitting smoking cold turkey. I visited several sites, and they all pretty much said the same thing. Intial symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are irritability and depression. Well, FUCK YOU! I'm happy as a fucking clam! Goddamnit! The sites mention that sleep and even dreams can be affected. Death has stalked my subconscious literally since the day I stopped smoking. My dreams are a nightmare collage of plague, famine, and war with fields, bogs, and cities strewn with piles of bloated, decaying corpses. Needless to say, I'm not getting the rest I need. Couple this with the fact that I can't breathe anymore (?!?), and I'm having a grand old time.

What solution do these sites propose? Drink lots of water and be patient. Oh. Well, thanks for that. That will help my irritability issues for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment