Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Life is but a dream...

There are days that my life takes on a dream like quality. Time becomes elastic. Days blur. Hours become minutes which become days which become seconds. I sit in the window of my apartment smoking and watching the street below, and it feels as if I'm looking at myself looking at myself looking at the world outside.

Part of this disconnect comes from being in Taiwan at this time of year. In my neigborhood, it's business as usual. If it weren't for the occasional Christmas movie on TV, you'd have no idea that it was the holiday season. There's also the fact that December in Taiwan is a non-weather event, unless you call chilly, damp and humid a weather event.

Also there is the fact that I haven't worked in about four months. This tends to add to the elasticity of time. I rarely know what day it is. I've taken to buying the newspaper everyday just to keep track (that and the crossword, hee hee). It's the first time in who knows how long that I have been unemployed for so long. I'm not used to it, and it's freaking me out a bit. Fortunately, I did find a job but I don't have many hours yet, so I still feel unemployed. Very strange.

...and so it goes

No comments:

Post a Comment