Sunday, December 20, 2009

Taiwan Rocks! Literally!

Last night, I experienced my second earthquake since I've been in Taiwan. The first was about a month or so ago and was a very minor tremor. Last night's quake, according to today's Taipei Times, was 6.8 on the Richter Scale, but because the quake's epicenter was off the southeast coast, it registered only a 4.0 where I live. It wasn't strong enough to knock stuff off shelves or anything, but it was certainly enough to get your heart pumpimg a bit.

I've been through earthquakes before when I lived in California. None of those were big ones; mostly short, sharp shocks that lasted a couple of seconds. Also, I was on the ground when those happened. A strange sensation, but not as weird as being on the 7th floor. The thing about being up in the air is that you can feel the WHOLE BUILDING move. It sways. The feeling is very much like standing up in a moving train.

Taiwan Rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment