Friday, June 1, 2012

Korea is a great place...most of the time



I've lived in Korea for 12 years now.  Without a doubt it has been a great experience.  For the most part, Koreans are wonderfully warm, generous people.  But then something like this comes along, and you have to wonder.  This, after all, was broadcast as national news.  This is what apparently passes for journalism at MBC News.

I'm not saying that the foreigners who come to Korea are all angels, far from it.  However, the great majority of "us" are decent folks who respect Korea and it's culture, and are simply trying to make a living.  There are things that have made me angry in Korea over the years which have been responded to by Korean co-workers  who say, "You must understand Korea. Be patient."  Ok.  I can deal with that.  How do they respond to something like this?

I wonder how the Korean community in the States would respond to Fox News airing something like this about Koreans. Can you say "lawsuit"?  I thought you could.

I could go on about how hypocritical it is for MBC to report this without a small discussion of the Korean sex industry, which doesn't support itself on dollars, if you catch my drift.  That's a topic for another post.

And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment